Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Boot Camp Blogging


Assuming my computer doesn't crash, as of this posting, I've managed to turn out at least a little bit of drivel each day this month. Wow. It seems to have flown right by. I've only got a day and a half left this week, so I've now only got three weeks left in my practicum. I've been doing 80-100% for the last three weeks (that's pretty much six lessons with one lesson to do prep each day). I can't believe it's almost over. I've learned so much. I can't believe it. My confidence in my teaching has wavered, then gotten stronger, over and over...each time getting even stronger than previously. I've taught when I was exhausted, sick, exhausted AND sick, upset and euphoric. Generally, I've been patient (I haven't told any stories in this medium about my personal little terror, whom I will refer to as "Subject 392-B" in the future.) with a few exceptions. I don't think I've scarred anyone for life (not even Subject 392-B, who was sent to the "Thinking Chair", and was promptly forgotten for twenty minutes. Oops. In my defense, it was actually quiet for the first time that week. I was slightly delirious.)

Enough with the patting of myself on the back...time for some stuff!

Apparently there's another army themed exercise program. Interesting...I'll have to look into this further. I've actually said in the past that I would like to be in the army, or an actress or stunt double whose job consists of getting into kick ass shape. (yes, I'm grossly oversimplifying all of these jobs. I know. Quiet.)

One of our butterflies came out of its chrysalis today. It was so very cool! It looks like a couple others might crack out tonight, but hopefully they'll hold off until we can watch. I spent a lot of time staring into the tank they're in today and someone commented on it. I'm funny (and in a multitude of other ways) in that I sometimes cannot sit or stand still, but other times I can spend an hour and a half kneeling in front of a fish tank to watch guppies swim around, or chrysalides sit there and "cook" their butterflies.

I got a lot of comments about my outfit today.
R (one of my K's, heavy accent, and speech difficulty...you may remember him from here)
*R points in the vicinity of my belly* "Hey! Nice! Where'd you get, (just my last name pronounced "Hay-bow")?"
"Thank you, R. I got it from a friend of mine."
*R ponders a moment and points at his shoes* "My mom get!"

S (someone I coach at track): "Why do you look so formal?"

Teacher: "You look too nice to coach track today!"
Me: "I know! I mean, thanks! I meant, I know that I'm dressed up...oh, never mind."

According to the ingredient list, the tea I am about to consume includes various plants with sedative properties that I'm familiar with, but it also contains rosebuds. Now correct me if I'm wrong (which I'm not) but isn't it a common practice to put roseHIPs in tea? They're very high in vitamins and other good things, as they're the fruit of the rose tree/bush/plant. The rose bud, however, is the unopened flower of the rose tree/bush/plant. I'm befuddled. Cat? Have you heard anything about using rosebuds? Maybe it's for the colour? I just don't know.

Edit: Well, I'll be damned. Turns out one can learn things all the time. (Those were on the first twelve google results. I'm stopping now, running out of words to link from.)

No comments: