Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Canadiana.


Ok. I just told Candyman that I didn't feel like posting. Well, now I have something to post.

I'm minoring in Canadian Studies..which to some people is like saying that I'm minoring in basket weaving, or underwater video gaming. It's mostly because, well...it's something I'm interested in. Bonus points because it's a teachable minor and I can use it to get into the teaching certificate program. Justy and I were talking about Canadian culture and what exactly that meant. We both figure that some of the defining things of Canadian culture is "We're not American", hockey and beer. Another is...

...

Actually, that's pretty much it. Hockey, beer, not American.

"Any you are truly Canadian if you base your memories around HOCKEY! If you remember...where you were...that glorious day! That memorable day...when...when...Alan Eagleton...went to prison!" Paraphrased from Royal Canadian Air Farce.

The reason that we were talking about this was because I just finished reading one of my books for my CNS course...The Electrical Field...and I posed an interesting question to him.

Me: So, I'd like to know...why does pretty much all "good" Canadian literature...well...
Him: Suck?
Me: EXACTLY!! It's all stupidly depressing and irritating. I just don't understand why it has to be so bad!

I enjoy his answer. From what I remember in my current exhausted state, his reasoning went kind of like this.

Premise A) We don't like be like Americans.
Premise B) Much popular American literature is good.
Premise C) Our popular literature must be different than American literature.
Conclusion) Our popular literature cannot be good.

This makes sense to me. Of course, there are notable exceptions (mainly in the science fiction and fantasy fields) but I am unwilling to mention them right now because I'm tired and can't think of any, and it also allows for comments with people supplying me with their lists of good Canadian authors that I can read. Please proceed with your recommendations.

No comments: