Monday, March 08, 2004

School.


I decided a couple of days ago that I was going to go for my teaching certificate, partly as a way to stop having to pay rent on my suite. :p I was looking for a teachable minor that I could take, since every teacher in the world has an English degree and I need something that would give me a bit of an edge. Since I'd taken many classes, but over a stupidly broad range of disciplines, I didn't really have enough credits in anything except history to make a difference. And I'd still need to take at least a year to finish that minor. So I happened to see "Canadian Studies" on the list of teachable courses and decided to look it up. I knew I'd only taken two Canadian Studies courses, so I was prepared for a huge list of stuff I needed to do.

Turns out I only need to take four courses to get that minor. The basis of a CNS degree (major or minor) is Canadian CONTENT courses, many of which I'd already taken as part of my previous potential teacher training. This means that I'll have my minor by the end of December, hopefully meaning that I'll be able to get into the January teacher training and be fully certified by January 2006.

In other words, a mere 9 years after I started university I will be eligible to teach.

I signed up for my first two courses today. Things are all falling into place.

No comments: