Tuesday, November 11, 2003

What a good idea.


Bimkins wrote this in his blog, and I'm going to copy him. Let's see how many people will do this.



Flander's Fields
In Flander's fields the poppies blow,
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place and in the sky
The lark still bravely singing flies.
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flander's fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe.
To you, from failing hands we throw.
The torch be yours to hold it high
If ye break faith with us who die,
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow.
In Flander's fields.
--John McCrae (1872-1918)


Wow. This is still an incredible poem. I memorized it when I was in grade seven, and rewrote it here from memory, even though I hadn't recited it in ages. I think that struggling with the words made it more meaningful to me. Lest we forget, indeed. With all the fighting going on these days, and how it's more personal to more of North America it's important to remember today.

No comments: