Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Disgusted and saddened.


I used to love my job. I think I made about thirty gazillion posts about how much I love my job. I think I would still love it if I wasn't a supervisor. I don't really like being a supervisor. I don't make a very good supervisor. *sigh* I had a cashier shift tonight, and didn't really like it much either. I think part of that has to do with the fact that there are a couple of severely poisonous individuals working there. That can't help.

That's the sad part. Here's the disgusted part.

We carry magazines in this store. Every week we take those magazines that are old, rip the covers off and send the covers back to the publisher. We then proceed to throw away the rest of the magazine. Throw. Away. We cleaned out a bunch of old magazines today and there was more than an entire shopping cart filled with paper that no one had looked at and which was going to a landfill tomorrow. And this amount of paper gets pitched every month by my estimate. This is in one store. I felt like throwing up. There is so much stuff thrown away each day in this store...Justy can vouch for this. We compact the cardboard boxes and those allegedly get recycled, but Big Business has decreed that anything which is getting thrown away cannot be donated to charity or taken home by employees.

I can see their point.

No, I really can. I mean, many people would "break" something so that they could take it home. But this wholesale destruction and waste is truly mindboggling and I don't think I can deal with it. I've started looking for another job. This isn't the entire reason, but it's one of many...and I was questioning whether or not I wanted to be in this job when this was brought to my attention.

Another thing which made me feel sick was the attitude of one of the employees. I brought it to her attention that there were alternatives to just trashing this stuff. Her response: "You think they're going to care what one associate thinks?" Huh. Well, thanks for making me feel about this tall. One person might not be able to change the world, but maybe they can change three people's minds. Then each of them does the same. THAT'S how you change the world.

No comments: