Monday, August 02, 2004

So. Much. Walking.


Yesterday was the Vancouver Pride Parade and I must say, I have not done that much walking in a very long time. I don't know how far these distances are, but I walked from Granville skytrain to Davie Street for the parade, then back to Burrard Skytrain to drop off Bimkins and Rini, then back to Davie to visit with some of my friends two of whom had marched in the parade. Fortunately, on the way back I was with someone who actually had an inkling of how the downtown buses go. I still had to walk about half a kilometer to Dave's house afterwards though.

So, the parade itself: There was so much queer-positive energy...I've NEVER felt anything like that. Probably there were over 100 000 people turned out in support of the GLBT community. I loved it. Totally amazing. I wanted to cry at several points: seeing the family groups going by with kids of all ages (including teens) holding their parents hands, parents groups holding signs saying "I support my gay daughter" and "So proud of my gay son", seeing signs for people who have been married after being couples for 10, 20 or more years and the HIV positive and AIDS groups. While many people got sunburned, I was in the shade for most of the parade and was actually cold enough that I needed to drape one of my spare skirts around my shoulders in a denim half cape to try and warm up!!

Then there were after parade drinks over at Dw00 and Dev's house. They've got a nice view of the water! And I was introduced to the joy of gin and tonic (which reminds me...I really should replace that bottle I drank most of... :/ ) Best part of G and T...it glows under blacklights!! Tee hee. So, I have a slight headache today...most due to exhaustion, not alcohol. Much fun ensued! Had a great time for my first Pride parade. It won't be my last.

I need to start taking the bus more. I get less lost when other people are driving. :D I also need to move closer to downtown. I have WAY too many people I need to see more of.

Exercise yesterday: assloads of walking.

No comments: