Sunday, August 22, 2004

Rain rain, go away.


Actually, no...wait! Don't! We need you. It's really feeling like a hot chocolate day right now. :p So used to all the heat.

Very tired...I have a crick in my neck from all the unusual pillows I've been sleeping on for the last couple days.

So, Whistler: I really enjoyed it. There may be way too many details that no one really cares about, but oh well. I've never been to the village or anything before. It really caters to two groups of people...rich yuppies and extreme outdoors people. Neat that way. There's about eight coffee shops, fifteen boutiques, several spas, at least half a dozen sweet shops/ice cream shops, at least a dozen "extreme outdoors" (ski, snowboard, mountain biking) stores and about three chiropractors and massage therapists. They probably do a pretty good business. :)

Keegan and I arrived Thursday night. The drive up took us about 2 1/2 hours including a stop in Squamish for ice cream. We found where we were staying (Blackcomb Lodge, room 110) easily and dropped off our stuff in the room with Keegan's sister Breanne and her boyfriend Mike. Then we went exploring. Well, technically we went to the grocery store, but we got pointed towards the wrong grocery store and wound up exploring through half the village when the other one was about thirteen feet from our hotel. That night was really hot, and NOISY. We were right over a restaurant and right across the street from a bar. The a/c gave us all headaches, so we had to have the windows open for air instead. But we slept (poorly) until...

Friday: Bre and Mike were leaving, so even though they were pretty quiet, we got woken up around 0530. I couldn't get back to sleep so I went for a "run"...which was more of a walk, because like a dummy I'd forgotten my inhaler and I didn't really want to have an asthma attack 150 km from my inhaler. It was really weird walking around when there wasn't really that many other people around. I came back to the room and I knew that the world had moved on (10 life points to whoever gets the reference) because not only was I awake at 0645, I was baking cookies. Just English Bay out of the bucket White Chocolate Macadamia Nut dough, but STILL. Around 8 we crashed again until 0830 because there was some massive construction going on. Closing the windows helped. We did a lot of napping and snacking that weekend. I'll skip the rest of the details on that. Most of Friday was spent wandering around window shopping and regular shopping. The first two stores we went into were one of the bookstores and the rock and gem shop. Tee hee. :) I picked up a pair of charms for my Italian charm bracelet and a fabulous black yoga outfit...a black tank top with "Whistler" in gems on the front, black pants, a black thong and a black tote bag. VERY cute. We crashed a couple of times and did some craft stuff...I was working on some knitting and she was doing a gorgeous cross stitch dreamcatcher. Keegan's fiance Drew came up that night and we had some lasagne pies that he brought up.

Saturday: I was leaving that afternoon so I packed all my stuff up...hopefully I didn't leave anything behind. Keegan, Drew and I all went to the Whistler museum after sleeping in until noon despite the construction. I got some really nice hematite stones and some arroweheads. Then we went back to the art supply shop where I picked up a sumi-e kit (Chinese brush painting). It's really gorgeous. I have a book on it, and some brushes, but we don't sell the ink at work. I could get it downtown, but it was such a great buy. Besides, we didn't eat out at all, so I figure it all evened out. I didn't get any souveniers except for the rocks and the yoga stuff, so that evens out as well. The drive home took me just about 2 1/2 hours and it was raining just as I was leaving. Grand total spent: less than $150. Gas: 1/2 tank there and back. Distance: about 300 km.

With the trip to Seattle and now this, I think that my car is pretty much broken in.

No comments: