Thursday, June 30, 2005

Why I wish real life were like a computer.


When I'm confused as to where my $400 mp3 player has gone, I simply gooogle it, or ask Jeeves. Of course, this may lead to annoying problems. *Search string: "Where is my RIO?" "On a bus heading downtown."* Eep. I think it's in my room somewhere... which leads to another thing I'd like. "Clean desktop/room" and everything gets organized. If I don't want stuff around right then, I stick it all in a folder and it doesn't take up that much room.

I'd also like to be able to ignore people, especially in bars...just walk away from them while they're talking, then come back in twenty minutes. "Sorry...I crashed. Hey, I've got to go." Then hang a sign around your neck that says "Offline". *thumbs up* I could definitely use the "ignore" key. Either that or click that red X on their forehead, and they're completely out of the room.

I've been doing a lot of reading about herbs 'n' stuff lately, but it'd sure be nice to have a CTRL-F (find) function. Hit CTRL-F and the book you'd just read that bit in would light up, then open to the right page and highlight the relevant section.

It would also be great when I was knitting. Right now I'm making a freaking huge piece of fabric that will eventually turn into a cloak. How cool would it be to just "copy" "paste" each row, since they're all the same?!

And UNDO! My God...can you imagine the uses for the undo key in real life? You accidentally (or on purpose, but have second thoughts) back up into another car? CTRL-Z. Just cussed in front of your SO's parents on the first time you met them? CTRL-Z. Realized that you locked your keys in the car? CTRL-Z.

Save would be good too, for those mistakes that take more than a single "undo" to fix. Just jump back to the last save point, and that whole awful date is POOF. Or you could "Save As", then revisit that amazing sunset as many times as you'd like.

Favourites. You'd never get stuck in rush hour again. Just favourite your house, friend's houses, work and a couple places you like to hang ou. Instant jumping around the city.

Pop-up blockers. Can you imagine what it'd be like without all the ads that we have in the world? Poof, they all go.

No comments: