Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Mutant Mint!


(thanks Jason for the title)

I'm still/again sick. I started coughing yesterday and pretty much haven't stopped. I'm trying not to take too much medicine for it this time...overall I feel pretty good, and I did spend the last two weeks drugged (and cross drugged) so I'm going the more natural route... also known as "cough until it's time for bed, then drink Neocitran". I'm currently drinking some iced Mutant Mint tea...a special "blend" of mint leaves taken from my garden that have gone wild (MINT GONE WILD!!!) and I SWEAR they taste different than they did the first year I planted it.

Here's the recipe I used. You'll notice how very exact it is...
1) Pull several mint plants out of the ground, cursing because they're all over the place now. (Note to readers: if you plant them in the garden...even for two months...they WILL NEVER LEAVE.)
2) Decide not to chuck them back into the garden, because they're like zombie plants...you have to burn them to kill them. Oh. And it's a waste too. (I'm kidding...I didn't plan to throw them away.)
3) Strip the nice looking leaves off the stems and wash them. Stick them in an eight cup glass measuring cup and crush them a bit with a metal spoon (don't smash them too much or else the chlorifil gets out and makes it taste like grass). I suggest metal and glass because plastic and wood might take up the mint smell.
4) I had about a fistful of mint leaves. Fill up the measuring cup with boiling water, mix the leaves around a bit, cover, and leave for about ten minutes.
5) Strain the leaves and toss them, or put them in the compost...whatever. Drink some of it while it's hot and refrigerate the rest.

No comments: