Monday, June 21, 2004

Of Chick Flicks


I generally like to say that I dislike romantic comedies, or as NNY puts it, "The feel good movie(s) of the year." It's not even so much that I dislike them, but I prefer other movies...to give you an idea of what I look for, the first thing I ask is "Do things blow up, and is the leading lady naked in it?" However, Candyman has been working to expand my cinematic horizons with various DVDs that he's picked up over the years. Generally, his instincts as to what I'd be interested in are pretty much bang on. However, there have been times when I just don't like what most people would. Not his fault...I just have a slightly abnormal "movie enjoyment" gene or something. Grease is a great example of that. I really and truly did not like that movie at all. Tonight was another example. I'd heard so many great things about When Harry Met Sally and I was really disappointed. There were definitely some good one liners, but that was about it. I think the problem was that I really didn't like the characters and couldn't get past the first couple of minutes. Meh. Whatever.

Part of that was probably that I've really been "off" the last couple of weeks. I've been kind of depressed, but not in a really active way. More in a "I can't bring myself to do anything" apathetic kind of way. It really sucks. :p Watched an episode of Highlander tonight with C/M, and part of the plot might have triggered all of this as well as the fact that I was trying to do pushups to learn how to do them properly. I have a lot of problems with pushups. I've never really had much upper body strength and I was getting really frustrated with my limitations, bringing myself to the brink of tears a couple of times.

I didn't go to karate Saturday. I had several reasons: my knee hurt, I was sleeping and slept through the alarm, I felt a cold coming on...etc. I feel really pathetic as well as angry with myself, and kind of a failure because of it. I can't put the spilled milk back though, so it just means that I need to work really hard this week, training myself and trying to make up for missing the class.

Goals and priorities for this week...

Monday: 1) do 1 hour of exercise after tutoring in the morning and before going to the university to 2) pick up books to start working on papers.
Tuesday: 1) work 2) work on paper
Wednesday: 1) do 1 hour of exercise after tutoring in the morning and before 2) work
Thursday: 1) work on papers before 2) Ultimate
Friday: 1) do a little light exercise to stretch out after tutoring in the morning, 2) work on papers for a little while
Saturday: 1) work on papers before 2) karate.

I need a structured exercise program as well. Does anyone have any ideas? I will be doing a 1/2 hour of karate for every section of exercise, I need to be running and I need to work on upper body strength. I'm thinking mix it up ie: weight training and karate on every other day, then run and karate on the alternates.

And no, I won't push myself so far that I get injured. If I actually make it through a full hour of exercise, I'll be fairly surprised. :(


Exercise today: About 35 "good" pushups

No comments: