Monday, June 21, 2004

Money-ish post.


I don't think I've ever really gotten the "idea" of libraries. I blame the upbringing I received in a capitalist environment, where the concept of "mine" is fully ingrained by the time a kid is...oh, I dunno...two? (And it's only that old because that's the time that they can verbalize it.) Once a book is in my house after I picked it up from an institution (not just borrowing it from a friend) I have this issue with returning it. Plus, I think I'm ADD, or OCD or INSANE or one of those other acronyms and so I have problems with due dates.

Anyway, I went up to school today (I don't do this often since I mostly do distance ed) to borrow some books from the university library. Luckily, a couple of weeks ago I'd checked to see what my usury fines were since I knew there were some. This meant that I got to have my stroke in private, rather than at the reference desk. So after dropping my $141.00 (about ten books, each two or so weeks late, $1/day), there goes my MP3 player I was hoping to purchase. :p

Tonight I got to officially babysit (getting paid, while the parents are out of the house) for the first time in ages. It was adorable. Two little girls aged almost 4 and 5 1/2 I love kids so much, 'specially when I get to give them back. :) They're really good kids and they've got a good foundation. When I came in they were watching a copy of their dad's original animated Spiderman on VHS, and we played Duplo! Which is like Lego, but bigger for little fingers. I got to do the niftiest bedtime story ever...less because of my amazing story skills but because the 5 year old has a MagnaDraw type thing and I drew the story as we created it. I felt totally like Mr. Rogers or Mr. Dressup. Except female. And not on TV. And younger. And...ok, well I guess I didn't really feel that much like them, except I got to draw my story! And I'm all stoked about that. :)

Here's the story synopsis. Collaborative effort. :) (She decided that the horse was why the princess was sad.)
The beautiful princess is sad because she lost her horse. (sketch of princess and horse and trees) So she goes into the woods to find the horse, but finds an old witch instead. (Oooh...witch in the trees.) And the witch knows where the horse is, but to get the horse, the witch makes her kiss a frog! (closeup of the frog and princess...much "EWW!!" ensues from the little one.) So the princess kisses the frog ("I know what happens! He turns into a PRINCE!!") And the frog turns into a prince and the old witch turns into a beautiful young witch because they were BOTH under a spell. (There's the horse and the princess is feeding him a sugar cube) And the princess got her horse back and they lived happily...well, you know the rest.

I'm feeling less "off". I think I've traced most of the recent stuff back to the Highlander episode we watched the other day. I'll blog about that another time methinks.


Exercise today: 1/4 "Crunch", some weightlifting with C/M, ten or so good pushups. DAMN YOU PUSHUPS!!!

No comments: