Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sharp Sticks


I feel like knitting. I've been doing a lot of physical stuff lately (karate x 3 days a week, biking) and lots of reading, since I'm participating in the Book Binge (see button over ----------------} there, unless you're reading this from archives, in which case, it should be gone [although...um...I took it down about three weeks ago from last year. So it had been up for roughly eleven months. Yeah. I'm almost this good at real life housekeeping.]) I'll be doing a lot of intellectual sitting-on-my-butt work soon (details forthcoming...back to school-ness is in discussion and final shakedown), and of course karate is intellectual as well as physical, especially the stuff I've been doing lately (Holy hell...learning a second style is like learning a new language that is similar enough to the old language that it feels like it should be understandable, but then it ISN'T, and then it turns out that the basic grammar, that which is taken for granted has CHANGED. It's disconcerting in a very large way, as if suddenly English had another letter added to it, or plurals and singulars were swapped. Something like that, but totally not at all. Y'know. If that clears things up for anyone. [not even myself. {OK NEW PARAGRAPH TIME. I BELIEVE I WILL GET BACK TO MY ORIGINAL POINT.}])

I've been doing a heckuvalot of knitting, considering that I kind of run a knitting club, but none of it has been very intellectually stimulating. I've got a whack of boring projects on the go...good for waiting in line at the movies, or while watching TV, or at knitting club, where I get a constant stream of kids needing casting on or off, or a dropped stitch to be fixed, or for me to stare intently at something weird and whacky that they did which I have no idea how to fix (seriously...I have no idea how they DO half their mistakes. I've seen so many things I can't even identify, let alone fix...although they think I'm pretty much a total miracle worker, since I've been able to fix a bunch of things that looked pretty darned hopeless. [Holy crap, I'm using a tonne of brackets this time.]).

Current projects on the needles:
-cotton washcloth, basic pattern. Boring, boring, BORING. I'm so sick of it, and I hate knitting with cotton. No give and hurts my hands. Did I mention that it's BORRRRRRRING????? Oh yeah, and I managed to shut the door on one of the wooden dowel needles I was using with it...so until I get back to school after the long weekend, it's on hiatus.

-pair of socks, basic pattern. Meh. I'm currently working on the heel, which is at least a LITTLE exciting (yeah...whee.) but I'm sick of the colours. Grey, white, dark grey, dark white (or light grey. whatever.) *snore*

-weird red top thing: knit in the round, so it's knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, knit, until my fingers fall off, or it gets to the length it needs to be. Since I'm totally making up the pattern (well, kind of [totally] stealing it from a couple places) I'm not sure how long this is going to be. It's also got some weird lumps happening from poor decreasing choices, so I'm not sure how nice it's going to wind up. Bah. It's in a bag next to my computer desk. Staring at me. Maybe if I pull it out, I'll be pleasantly surprised at how much I've gotten done on it and it will inspire me to work on it! One moment please...hmmm.. Mildly surprised. Definitely not inspired though.

-Lace stole: mmmm...lace. And beads. Lovely. I would really like to work on this...I'm actually craving lace right now, but there's a problem. I have all the stuff, but I think know I screwed up several rows back and might probably almost definitely have to rip back a ways. Hmmm...maybe I oughta take a chance. I mean, what's the worst that could happen? (don't answer that.)

No comments: