Saturday, October 23, 2004

Reflections of Prison


I went to visit Kent and Mountain Institutions in the Fraser Valley yesterday. Kent's a maximum security place, while Mountain is medium. It used to be exclusively for sex offenders (rapists and child molesters... :/ ) but it's more open to the general population now.

Last night I curled up under my feather comforter in my double bed after having a nice dinner with a friend, chatting and watching TV, drinking a gin and tonic, doing a few rows of knitting, then taking a long, hot, private shower with fruit scented shampoo and conditioner. I didn't have to be anywhere at any particular time, nor did I need to check in with anyone to let them know where I was or when I'd be back. If I didn't want to be in my room after 11, I could have gone for a drive, or walked in my garden, or stayed at Dave's place. I could have even just gone to the kitchen for a snack and/or a glass of wine.

There's so many things that have been happening around me over the last couple of weeks which are allowing me to see things that I've been taking for granted. And I think that even though those things are often negative, I've been taking positive things away from them.

And there's nothin' wrong with that. :)

No comments: