Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Astronomy


I've started getting into astronomy a bit...difficult since I don't have a telescope, astronomy books or anyone really close to me who knows what they're doing... and I live in a rather light polluted area. I do, however, have a pair of really nice 7-15x35 Bushnell binoculars that belonged to my Opa, the expertise of the internet and the folks at Vancouver Telescope Centre and a certain amount of stubborness. So since this blog has been dormant for months, and it's got a rather appropriate address...here we go.

Nov 29 2008, around 8pm: Naked eye viewing, (probably) Jupiter and Venus near southern horizon, (probably) Orion to the southeast (hidden by buildings)

clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds, clouds...

Dec 2 2008, around 8pm: binoculars, cloudy, but the waxing crescent moon (20% or so) was visible briefly high in the south. I saw craters!! Not sure which ones since the binocs were shaking a bit and the clouds came in quickly, but it was really cool!

No comments: