Tuesday, September 26, 2006

What Are *YOU* Doing in November?


As longtime readers may remember, and those with whom I am usually in contact IRL with CERTAINLY remember, two years ago I participated in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), in which participants try to complete a 50,000 word novel in 30 days or less. I managed to do it, shocking the HELL out of me...although everyone else expressed less surprise. Last year, due to vast quantities of school, I decided not to participate as I rather enjoyed having my head remain on my shoulders in one piece, rather than scattered haphazardly about the room after it exploded.

I believe everyone else felt likewise.

In 2004, I was working full time at Michaels in preparation for Christmas, plus taking three correspondence courses, and I still managed to complete the novel. It's not very GOOD (yet), mostly because I knocked it off in 29 days rather than the allotted 30 (and you know it would've been award winning calibre if I'd used that extra day...please see above comment of exploding heads) and it hasn't been edited (yet).

In order to get myself into the headspace of NaNoWriMo, I've begun editing my old novel (read: I found the "manuscript" [note the ironic quotes] and have not yet mustered up the courage to open the binder [as I remember my first go-through of it with a sharpie CROSSING out huge tracts of...words and writing "GAH! BAD! CHANGE!" {This was mostly through dialogue...gods, I hate trying to write natural sounding dialogue. {I figured out a way around this in my next attempt. Oooh...}}]) and I'm going to start a new sentence now. I've also begun outlining my new novel and am really excited to start writing it.

You know...since I'll have so much time in November. :P Whoops. I meant so much "time" in November. Or maybe "so much" time.

So, anyone want to join me in thirty days of madness?

No comments: